[Talk-GB] OSM University of Liverpool exercise (or 200 free(ish) volunteers)

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Thu Nov 27 14:09:09 UTC 2014

On 27 November 2014 at 13:50, Nick Bearman <n.bearman at liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm looking for someone who has completed something similar in the past and
> has any recommendation on how to do this most effectively, and what areas in
> Liverpool would benefit most from the students contribution. Currently,
> giving the time available to the students, I would be thinking of a
> desk-based digitisation exercise, but this can be flexible. I've already
> contacted John McKerrell but I'm interested to talk to other mappers in
> Liverpool that can suggest areas that need the most attention and/or who
> might like to be involved.

Nice initiative! I think adding building outlines is quite useful, and
has relatively low risk that the students break things (an important
consideration, especially with such a large group). West of the
Mersey, most buildings are added, but East of the Mersey, there are
hardly any building outlines yet. I think with such a large group, you
should be able to cover the entire city even if you give everyone a
tiny area to do. Probably best to split the city into several 'tasks'
yourself to prevent overlap?

Make sure that your students have a reference to your contact details
somewhere, in their profile or changeset comment perhaps, so that
mappers can contact you if something goes wrong.

I am not a local mapper in Liverpool, make sure to also get support /
approval from the locals.

-- Matthijs