[Talk-GB] OSM University of Liverpool exercise (or 200 free(ish) volunteers)

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Thu Nov 27 18:34:49 UTC 2014

On 27 November 2014 at 16:35, SK53 <sk53.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have metrics from my own surveys of this type, but would expect a shopping
> street 200 metres long would occupy a student for perhaps a couple of hours
> (certainly my first shopping street, Floral Street in London, took quite a
> long time). In general data collection is much faster than data entry (a
> ratio of 1:3 or 1:5 for experienced mappers probably more for inexperienced
> mappers).

I think this really depends on the mapper and the method used. My
collection:entry rate is somewhere between 1:1 and 2:1. In retail
areas, I collect roughly 80 points of interest per hour, and I can
enter, very roughly, about 100 points of interest per hour.

I collect data by adding POI as favourites in OsmAND (using both the
map and Bing layers), and then I export my favourites to JOSM. That
way, I don't need to type out POI names twice (still a check for typos
made on mobile is necessary of course), so it goes relatively quick.

Of course, metrics like this are not useful to estimate the time
students will spend on an assignment. I was taught that at university
level, students will take roughly eight times as much time to complete
an exercise as their instructor, and I think in this case the factor
will even be larger.

-- Matthijs