[Talk-GB] OSM University of Liverpool exercise (or 200 free(ish) volunteers)

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Thu Nov 27 23:05:42 UTC 2014

On 27/11/14 14:09, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> Nice initiative! I think adding building outlines is quite useful, and
> has relatively low risk that the students break things (an important

The disadvantage, here, is that it is a vocational type exercise, not an
academic one.  An academic one should include a significant element of
mapping for the database, should involve higher level decisions than
needed just for drawing, and might want to make the students actually
consider things like whether data can legally be used.

Whereas, for a normal new mapper, you don't want to put them in a
position where they need to make complex decisions that they may not
appreciate, for an academic course, you want to give people an
appreciation of the need for those decisions.