[Talk-GB] Vandalism in London

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Oct 4 08:57:16 UTC 2014

On 04/10/14 01:47, Antje (OpenStreetMap) wrote:
> Even the Inner ring road is damaged (3124618
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3124618>).

This is the only specific one you identified.  I assume you are
referring to http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/25784400 which has
the blank equivalent comment of "commit", and and no source, as do all
the user's other changesets.

This was done with iD which has a bad reputation for collateral damage,
and without a sensible commit comment, it is difficult to work out what
was intended, but I suspect that this relatively new editor is not
actually malicious.  That might have to be revised if you can work out
the intent of the edits and it becomes clear that they had malicious intent.

I would suspect that the editor is taking on too much for their level of
experience.  I would also have a general concern that such large numbers
of edits may be based on copyright sources, but without understanding
what they have been doing (changeset lists for this sort of edit are
just too long to work out the theme of the edit), I can't work out the
true source.   iD's Bing Imagery tag is pretty useless, as it will put
it there even if they never looked at the imagery.