[Talk-GB] Deletions and newbie editors

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 11:26:38 UTC 2014

> On 05/10/14 11:27, Spike wrote:
>>
>> On 05/10/2014 10:47, David Woolley wrote:
>>>
>>> A classic example is NaPTAN stop data, where the rule for one that has
>>> gone away is to invalidate the bus stop tag and add
>>> physically_present=no, but leave the node present.  I think I've seen
>>> cases where a stop being moved has triggered an delete/add operation
>>> that has lost he NaPTAN tagging.
>>

>> Could I ask please the logic behind retaining references to a stop that
>> does not exist?
>>
>> I have a local example of a stop that has not had a physical presence in
>> living memory but STILL shows on bus company maps.
>>

> I didn't set the rules, but I believe it is because the data is imported, so
> the existence of the data is controlled by the source of the import.
>
> Whilst the object still exists, it no longer has the the highway=bus_stop
> tag, so is not considered to be a bus stop, and should be deleted from any
> routes that it is on (very few people actually map stops on routes in the
> first place).

I don't understand why the osm object should continue to exist then.
If the bus stop ceases to exist, and the object is purely a bus-stop,
the object should be deleted, no? It doesn't make any difference that
the data was imported. (Future data-conflaters can detect naptan IDs
that vanish, just as well as they can detect naptan IDs that have
special this-has-vanished tags.)

It doesn't seem sustainable to have "special rules" for certain data
items, decided by whoever did/discussed the import, since they can't
expect the global community of OSMers to be aware of those special
rules.

Dan