[Talk-GB] Deletions and newbie editors (was: Vandalism in London)

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Oct 5 20:43:43 UTC 2014

On 05/10/14 14:11, Lester Caine wrote:

> Which sort of ties in with my constraints on relations.
> If an edit is breaking something it's easy enough to say "unable to
> proceed because ... " but ideally the API should be able to find a new
> missing bit and add it into the relation? Only blocking something when
> the new edit does create a conflict because the relation is now broken?

JOSM, rather than the API, already does this for way splits, although it
doesn't handle some of the more complex cases of splitting roundabouts
well.  I wouldn't be surprised if iD did as well.

It is deletions and effective deletions (like removing one direction by
adding oneway=yes) that are difficult to automate.  If you did automate
them, I think the editor would need to tag the relations for review.
There are many reason why the information needed to make a good guess
might not be available at the time needed.