[Talk-GB] Deletions and newbie editors

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 21:28:22 UTC 2014

On 05/10/14 21:43, David Woolley wrote:
> On 05/10/14 14:11, Lester Caine wrote:
>
>> Which sort of ties in with my constraints on relations.
>> If an edit is breaking something it's easy enough to say "unable to
>> proceed because ... " but ideally the API should be able to find a new
>> missing bit and add it into the relation? Only blocking something when
>> the new edit does create a conflict because the relation is now broken?
>
> JOSM, rather than the API, already does this for way splits, although it
> doesn't handle some of the more complex cases of splitting roundabouts
> well.  I wouldn't be surprised if iD did as well.
>
> It is deletions and effective deletions (like removing one direction by
> adding oneway=yes) that are difficult to automate.  If you did automate
> them, I think the editor would need to tag the relations for review.
> There are many reason why the information needed to make a good guess
> might not be available at the time needed.

Changes of direction and things like that certainly impact on routing
grids, but I was more concerned initially in maintaining the integrity
of the basic way, more for boundaries but also for way relations which
are intended to be a single way. Flagging up roundabout is probably a
very good example as I have to admit to having added the odd one in
recent years, but not been sure if it broke anything. If the road that
was broken ad been part of a boundary, then the original straight line
segment that was removed needed to be retained. Historically as an
indication on where the road went prior to the construction of the
roundabout, but also as an ongoing boundary segment straight across the
new roundabout, with other routing relations using the correct
roundabout segment :) All achievable if the API monitors the constraints
on relations and checks that what JOSM submits is complete.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL