[Talk-GB] Deletions and newbie editors

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Oct 6 08:26:43 UTC 2014

On 05/10/14 22:28, Lester Caine wrote:

> All achievable if the API monitors the constraints
> on relations and checks that what JOSM submits is complete.

That would represent a radical change in design philosophy.  At the
moment, the code behind the API ("I" standards interface) implements
very few business rules.  All it really knows about relations is that
all the members must be currently live objects.  It implements the
business rules by refusing changes outright.

The big advantage of that approach is that it allows decentralised
addition of new features.  Anyone can add a new tag, tag value, or
relation type and create clients and, possibly, renderers that use them,
without needing a central authority to write code to support them.

Currently, it is the editors that implement business rules.  Whilst you
could have common libraries, JOSM would need a Java one, but other
clients would need ones for other languages or platforms.