[Talk-GB] Tagging overlapping areas using the same landcover

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 16:53:42 UTC 2014

There are a number of associated issues, such as named and/or numbered
compartments in woods & forests; and a named wood with different types of
trees. I asked a question
<https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/29570/naming-a-wood-with-different-types-of-trees>on
OSM Help about such things a while back, and some ideas were discussed
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Section>on the wiki
ages ago.

In the recent past I visited Bradfield Woods, which could be tagged as a
nature reserve. This consists of two named woods each of which in turn has
many named coppice compartments. All of the names will be old because the
documented history of coppicing in these woods goes back to the 13th
century.

I think in summary no existing tagging scheme handles these types of
nestings of woodlands. I believe that it is a more widespread and generic
issue. It can either be addressed on a case-by-case basis: for instance
building_part and cemetery_sector or we can search for a more universal way
of handling this sort of thing. (Other examples include lakes containing
named bays, archipelagos with individually named islands, mountains where
the peaks have different names (Buchaille Etive Mor comes to mind),
mountain ranges and so on).

Jerry