[Talk-GB] Confused over access...

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 16:53:05 UTC 2014

On 18/10/14 13:18, David Woolley wrote:
>> Following on from what the others say, I think the Bus tag is redundant
>> in this instance, as it's a subset of psv=yes
>
> I didn't think that bus was a separate category.  Moreover, although
> taxis were previously mentioned, I don't believe they are legally
> "public service vehicles" in the UK, as they carry less than eight
> passengers and don't normally trade "at separate fare":
>
> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/14/section/1
>
> (In particular, it looks to me as though the 8 limit was chosen to
> exclude taxis and minicabs.)

Buses are generally PSV vehicles, but there are classifications of bus
which avoid the need for a PSV licence. Additionally Taxi may be
classified as a PSV after obtaining a special licence. This is all to do
with the *9* or more passenger capacity, and if passengers are charged
an individual fare. Something of a minefield since it is open to
discussion in fringe areas.

When referring to access rules signs will often say 'Buses and Taxis' or
'Buses Only' rather than 'PSV' simply because school buses may not hold
PSV licences. So ARE there examples where 'PSV' is a valid restriction
and has anybody issued school buses using the route with tickets ;) It
is any use of 'psv' in relation to access which is of dubious provenance
in OSM and even Taxi needs to be qualified where local rules add other
limits such as only Black cabs in London.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/194259/PSV_Operator_Licensing_Guide.pdf
documents the minefield, but does not identify who can and can't use UK
restricted roads :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL