[Talk-GB] RFC Mechanical edit: shop=betting to shop=bookmaker for selected names

Will Phillips wp4587 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 10:42:28 UTC 2014

Matthijs,

I'm confused by your actions. Yesterday you started the formal process
for making an uncontroversial change to the tagging of bookmakers, but
since then you have made a series of considerably more controversial
edits with no discussion at all. I wish to register my objection to
these changes.

You are standardising the tagging for particular brands, removing the
original judgements made by mappers who looked at them on the ground. I
find it particularly de-motivating when these mass changes strip meaning
from my tagging, changing a specific tag to a more general one. I'm not
against my tagging being changed through discussion, but distinctions
should be kept, even if moved to a sub-tag (e.g. shop=bed versus
shop=furniture furniture=bed).

I have other concerns about these sorts of edits:

Are you sure all the shops belonging to a chain sell the same thing and
offer the same services? In my experience this isn't always the case.
For example, WH Smith at train stations and airports sell a much
narrower range than their larger high street stores.

Where you are 'correcting' tagging based just on the name tag, how can
you be sure its not an administrative office, distribution depot or
something else other than a shop?

Regards,
Will