[Talk-GB] Notes vs Fixme (was: RFC Mechanical edit: shop=betting to shop=bookmaker for selected names)

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Fri Oct 24 13:06:20 UTC 2014

On 23/10/2014 13:04, SomeoneElse wrote:
> On 23/10/2014 12:57, Dave F. wrote:
>>
>> I'm not convinced Notes are cleared up any more than Fixmes
>
> They certainly are more visible to me - they're available for a simple
> overlay on the main map and get announced in IRC channels.

They maybe more visible, but that doesn't mean they get updated or offer
more relevant data. If Fixmes had a front end overlay they'd, obviously,
be just as noticeable.

IMO, fixmes are better as they're added by people with knowledge of OSM
who are actually editing, attached to entities, & offer clearer
instructions as to what needs to be fixed. Notes are added by non
editors, often inaccurately placed with vague messages like ,can't get
down here'. Was there an import from that crappy 'bugs'?

Specific Q lots of these notes in my area are 'Incorrect speed limit.
Reported speed limit is 40 mph' from 'anonymous'. Where is it 'reported'
from. Is it being compared with another database?

Cheers
Dave F.

---