[Talk-GB] RFC Mechanical edit: UK Shop Names

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Oct 24 16:20:19 UTC 2014

On 24/10/14 14:44, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> please see
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Math1985/UK_Shop_Names.
>
> Please let me know if you have any comments. If there are no further
> comments, I will invite list members to vote on this automatic edit. I
> will not proceed without at least 8 votes with 2/3 approval.

Nisa use at least two brands, Nisa Local and Nisa Loco (the logo makes
the last o appear to have an accute accent but they don't use it in the
text).  Whilst I can't work out the branding concept difference between
them, they are different brands.  I think they tend not to include the
Nisa when they are using the Loco brand.

Also it is a franchise.  Actually a lot of shops are really franchises.

Some Nisa stores seem to retain branding that reflects their ownership,
and shouldn't be fixed.

I see someone has already mentioned the re-branding of Wilkinsons to Wilko.

My feeling is that you need to split this up into obvious mistakes and
possible branding variations.  Sainsburys for Sainsbury's is a mistake.
  Most variations on Co-op probably need verifying on the ground.

What I would more like, though is moving location information into a
branch tag, e.g. some people seem to want to have a Macdonalds Snowdon
Summit entry rather than just having it as Macdonalds (I assume that
doesn't really exist).

Also watch out for people going close to the edge on trade mark violations.