[Talk-GB] RFC Mechanical edit: UK Shop Names

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 16:46:19 UTC 2014

Dear Matthijs,

As Will has objected to these edits, I do too. I agree with him that it is
far too premature to even consider doing this.

AFAIK the Nottingham area is the only place in the UK, and one of the very
few places in the world, where there has been a systematic approach to
mapping shops (by Paul Williams, Kev Swindells, Will Phillips and myself).
The tags chosen have been chosen with care and represent a very valuable
data set for evaluating how one might develop the tagging scheme for shops
in the future.

Altering these tags to some view of what they should be creates the
following problems:

   - It destroys the utility of the OSM-Nottingham
   <http://osm-nottingham.org.uk/> site which is a show case for OSM in our
   local area. This already has a categorisation of retail tags which we know
   works really well (created by Will Phillips, but pretty much in accord with
   my own ideas of classification set out in my slides at SotM-Baltics. (OSM
   Nottingham demonstrates incidentally that consuming such data, as I have
   said before, is not a major point of development complexity.
   - It destroys a highly useful data set for evaluating how things might
   be tagged by mappers in the field.

It also shows a massive amount of disrespect for other OpenStreetMap
contributors  in a multitude of areas their mapping styles, their hard
work, and their local knowledge.

I would ask you to revert edits made in the UK over the past few days, and
for you to abstain from further mechanical edits in the area.
Should you not do this I may feel a need to refer your actions to the Data
Working Group.

Regards,

Jerry Clough