[Talk-GB] RFC Mechanical edit: UK Shop Names

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 17:34:38 UTC 2014

I'd also say the same about the Wilkinson->Wilko rebranding. Most store
chains roll out re-brands over a number of months because they are
expensive and creating and fitting new signage externally & internally
involves a range of skills which may take time to assemble.

At present I suspect we are a bit slow at spotting and dealing with these
things. The ideal would be to encourage local mappers to check. We all know
that checking a minor change in an area often results in a flurry of other
edits because it's a while since someone was in that area.

It's another problem of editing them en masse: by doing so you remove one
of the incentives to get mappers to revisit places in their local area. As
we acquire more mappers better messages about what needs checking is far
more likely to result in a good map than doing mass updates. If we want to
keep a data set with what we believe to be absolutely current branding this
can be done as a post-processing step (a typical data warehouse cleansing
process). The logic is essentially the same and has the advantage of that
it does nothing to antagonise mappers who contributed the data in the first
place. Furthermore post-processed data sets can be changed so that global
changes are easier to apply through use of more normalised schemas.

Jerry