[Talk-GB] Mechanical shop edits (Was: RFC Mechanical edit: UK Shop Names)

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Fri Oct 24 18:07:09 UTC 2014

On 24 October 2014 17:46, SK53 <sk53.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> AFAIK the Nottingham area is the only place in the UK, and one of the very
> few places in the world, where there has been a systematic approach to
> mapping shops (by Paul Williams, Kev Swindells, Will Phillips and myself).
> The tags chosen have been chosen with care and represent a very valuable
> data set for evaluating how one might develop the tagging scheme for shops
> in the future.

That's interesting, and a project I certainly appreciate. Is there any
documentation on this tagging scheme?

Of course the risk is that other local communities might come up with an
equally well-thought out, but incompatible tagging scheme, which does
not help global data consumers.

I just checked, and I touched 5 objects in the Nottingham area:

shop=funeral_director to shop=funeral_directors
shop=video to shop=music for HMV
shop=hearing_aid to shop=hearing_aids
shop=chocolatier to shop=confectionery (Thorntons)
shop=car_repair;car_parts to shop=car_repair

Could you indicate how these changes relate to the Nottingham tagging
scheme? Were all old tags seen as correct by your scheme?

> I would ask you to revert edits made in the UK over the past few days, and
> for you to abstain from further mechanical edits in the area.

I don't agree with all of your arguments, and I believe (globally)
standardizing tagging schemes is the way to go.

However, I agree we should not make mechanical changes that are
controversial, so I have reverted my edits of today and yesterday.

Kind regards,
Matthijs