[Talk-GB] RFC Mechanical edit: UK Shop Names

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Fri Oct 24 19:39:07 UTC 2014

On 24 October 2014 14:44, Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl> wrote:
> I am proposing to unify the names of chain shops within the UK. For
> details, please see
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Math1985/UK_Shop_Names.

Thank you for all comments so far. Based on the comments, I made the
following changes:

- I removed most changes to the co-operative stores, as their
inconsistent signs means that they require a local visit.
- Majestic (Wine (Warehouse)) is a difficult case because they're very
inconsistent in the way they use their brand. I decided to go with
Majestic Wine Warehouse, which is the current most popular name.
- I dropped the Nisa change.
- Marks & Spencer Simply Food is now changed to M&S Simply Food,
instead of the other way around.

People mentioned the Wilkinsons to Wilko change, but please note that
I never proposed to automatically change this. As not all shops have
been changed, we cannot handle this in an automated way.

The brand tag, as well as moving location information into a different
tag, would be worth looking at to, but I consider it out of scope of
the current changes.

Please let me know if there are more changes that need to be made to
the proposed list.

-- Matthijs