[Talk-GB] UK Retail chains

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 18:39:49 UTC 2014

>> >I have made a large update to the UK retail chain page:
>> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_Retail_Chains
>
> I am not sure that this is on topic here, but I didn't see the Post
> Office there. Presumably it now counts now as a private business,
> although perhaps not quite "retail".
>
> Our local main office has just closed and moved to a shop within a
> shop (W H Smith in this case). A quick wiki search didn't get a hit
> on how to tag this sort of sub shop, although I know, of course, that
> this is a common situation with department stores.
>
> Is there an agreed way to tag this? Just add amenity=post_office
> to the to the same node as the shop tag? Or add a second node? Or
> something else?

Hi -

I certainly would not add it to the same node. It's only coincidence
that the tag is a different key so it lets you do that - and after all
it may have different name=*, different opening_hours=*, etc. A second
node is fine. For things like department stores (which have a big
spatial extent) it's pretty clear that the main store can be a large
way, and sub-shops can be nodes inside them.

Best
Dan