[Talk-GB] [OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap ten years on, and why it's time for a fresh slate

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 19:40:19 UTC 2014

>I can recite a few of them. We have very little mobile presence, even
>though smartphones are ideal surveying devices; a 5% intervention here
>would bring so many more people to our 95%.

Interesting points. I'd hope most of us, though, remain idealistic beyond our 20s and don't turn into some sort of technophobic Farage-loving bore. ;-)

Regarding your point here, I've always wondered (and I think I mentioned this some time ago) whether there would be room for an "easy" footpaths editor (sorry to go on about footpaths but it's my "pet" OSM thing). The user simply records their GPS trace on their phone via a custom app, and selects, via a simple dropdown etc, the current right-of-way type (footpath, bridleway etc). The trace is simplified (e.g. Douglas-Peucker) and converted directly to an OSM file (I think this is what I did way back with osmeditor... anyone remember that?)

When back home the data is uploaded. This could be done in a number of ways e.g. OSM data could be downloaded and then some sort of algorithm applied to detect which part of the trace is new. Those segments which are new are then joined - initially automatically but with option to change - to existing data and then uploaded to the server. Alternatively, one could "throw" some OSM data at the server and have the server figure out which parts are new and which are not - though that would of course involve an extension to the API.

Is this something that could be of interest? (cc to talk-gb as it's slightly UK-centric but could be used elsewhere potentially)

Nick