[Talk-GB] addr:place

Andy Street andy at street.me.uk
Sun Oct 26 19:02:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 13:11:39 +0000
Will Phillips <wp4587 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My understanding has always been that addr:place is similar to
> addr:street, except when the unit in question isn't a street but some
> other grouping of addresses such as a business park, retail park or
> shopping centre, which serves a similar function to a street in the
> address.

So far I've been tagging addresses like this:

addr:housename = Enterprise House
addr:site      = The Business Park
addr:street    = High Street
addr:place     = Locality
addr:city      = Posttown
addr:postcode  = AB12 3CD
addr:country   = GB

> As far as I'm aware this has been what the wiki has said since the
> tag was first proposed and I remember mailing list discussions
> broadly agreeing. The wiki page -
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr:place - does explicitly
> state it shouldn't be used instead of addr:suburb.

It certainly appears that I have been tagging wrongly given the wiki
page you cite. Frankly I find the whole address tagging schema rather
confusing as many of the tags are either too specific ("housenumber"
needn't be a house nor "city" a city) or too vague ("place"). There is
also an issue when reading the data of which way to order the various
tags, especially when people mix in "district", "province", "state",
etc.

> It's unfortunate when a tag is used by different people to mean
> substantially different things, because it makes the data less
> useful. I think there should be a wiki page dedicated to UK
> addresses, which would suggest best practices for tagging more
> complicated addresses. The only reason I haven't already created one
> is the lack of discussion and consensus over issues like
> parent/subsidiary streets, usage of addr:interpolation on buildings,
> and so on.

I've largely given up on adding addresses in OSM but if I were to
resume then I'd certainly find it helpful if we had a wiki page with
clear and concise examples of how to map GB addresses.

--
Regards,

Andy Street