[Talk-GB] addr:place

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sun Oct 26 19:27:11 UTC 2014

On 26/10/14 19:02, Andy Street wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 13:11:39 +0000
> Will Phillips <wp4587 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My understanding has always been that addr:place is similar to
>> addr:street, except when the unit in question isn't a street but some
>> other grouping of addresses such as a business park, retail park or
>> shopping centre, which serves a similar function to a street in the
>> address.
> So far I've been tagging addresses like this:
>
> addr:housename = Enterprise House
> addr:site      = The Business Park
> addr:street    = High Street
> addr:place     = Locality
> addr:city      = Posttown
> addr:postcode  = AB12 3CD
> addr:country   = GB

The last thing I would include in OSM addressing is the confusing and
wholly unjustifiable post town as defined by Royal Mail. I live in a
village in its own civil parish and completely separate from a nearby
village that Royal Fail insist is my postal town. This postal town is a
village; it has nothing at all to do with my village except that my post
is delivered from a small office there. When I quote my postcode,
companies who use Royal Fail's PAF conclude that I live in the next door
village rather than the one I actually live in. When a delivery is sent
here, the CARP or sat-nav -generated route sends the driver to my door
in a village that is not always on the delivery note (because that
wrongly has the postal town on it), causing problems including abandoned
deliveries.

We in OSM can do SO much better and we must not use the imaginary,
spurious and wholly wrong concept of Royal Fail's postal town. Postal
towns are not real and have no place in OSM.

One good thing is that Royal Fail has finally removed Humberside from
the PAF. In fact they had North & South Humberside in the PAF when only
Humberside ever existed. Humberside was abolished in 1996, so Royal Fail
are really good at keeping up.

We can do SO much better.

--
Cheers, Chris