[Talk-GB] addr:place

phil at trigpoint.me.uk phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sun Oct 26 20:09:24 UTC 2014

On Sun Oct 26 2014 19:34:14 GMT+0000 (GMT), Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 19:27:11 +0000
> Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Chris,
>
> Like you, I live in a different parish than the one RM route my post
> through.
>
> >spurious and wholly wrong concept of Royal Fail's postal town. Postal
>
> I agree it's a shame that so many people attribute so much "value" to
> RM's postal address.  After all it was, and remains, designed for
> *their* purposes only.  That is, the purpose of routing mail
> deliveries.  Nothing more.

Absolutely,  would be so good to put the postcode genie back in the bottle.

Postal addresses are the reason Donington Park is referred to as  The Derbyshire Circuit by geographicakk ignorant motor racing commentators, its in Leicestershire.

Ramblers are assigned to wrong county as a result of postcodes,  it took some work to convince London office staff that that Castle Donnngton, Kegworth, Measham, Moira are in Leicestershire.

Its a shame grid references are not taught in schools, they are as simple to use and remember. They give geographic  meaning, I can see instantly that SK53 lives in an area 100km east and 10km north of me.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Jolla