[Talk-GB] addressing (was addr:place)

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Oct 26 22:49:21 UTC 2014

On 26/10/14 21:58, Andy Street wrote:
>> We in OSM can do SO much better and we must not use the imaginary,
>> > spurious and wholly wrong concept of Royal Fail's postal town. Postal
>> > towns are not real and have no place in OSM.
> Okay, now I'm confused! I know what Royal Mail considers my address to
> be and that includes a post town. If post towns have "no place in OSM"
> then presumably we have either adopted another addressing standard or
> created our own. Can someone please point me in the direction of a
> document describing how addresses in OpenStreetMap are derived?

The correct information is contained in a reference we are not allowed
to use. The NLPG - National Land and Property Gazetteer. In that the
correct places and town names are used for the cross link references in
the National Street Gazetteer.

Post Codes are cross referenced, but to not form a 'primary' key since
there ARE deemed to be of secondary importance and may not be accurate.
The LLPG files that I have private access to throw up some interesting
problems when trying to create a post code table from them since the
front line staff prefer to use that as a quick means of finding a
persons address, so one has to cheat to get it to work in cases like
those already highlighted.

Camden and the like are places in London, but nowadays London tends to
get classified as a 'county' and then the boroughs are 'towns' but
neither models are particularly accurate? The metropolitan areas simply
don't fit a 'place/town' model.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL