[Talk-GB] addressing (was addr:place)

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 27 09:08:00 UTC 2014

It seems that that the housenumber/name/street/postcode is probably
"non-controversial" - but the town/locality is, because RM have a
specific view on the world.

Has anyone looked at the use cases here? I am guessing that the main use
case is for navigation - you have to go somewhere and you ask your
counterpart where you have to go to. What addressing information might
be useful to the user? Probably not Civil Parish, for all sorts of
reasons of reasons. Districts/boroughs are often too large to be useful
for this purpose. Boundaries of localities (not being CPs) are AFAIK
very poorly defined. So what type of information would fill the gap
between street level and district level?

By the way, CRM systems allow for multiple types of address for the same
"object". Postal address, PO Box address, visiting address... Which
paradigm are we following?

C.