[Talk-GB] addressing (was addr:place)

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Oct 27 11:37:11 UTC 2014

On 27/10/14 10:38, Tom Hughes wrote:

> The entire postcode is split (by the space) into the "outward postcode"
> and "inward postcode" and the outward postcode combined with the leading
> digits from the inward give you a "postal sector".

There is an additional part of the post code, the delivery point suffix,
which you will find in the bar codes from utilities, banks, insurance
companies, etc., which identifies the address down to the exact point
where it leaves the postal system.  In my case, it is just the house
number expressed in the, base 24, number system used for the DPS.

This is only available to PAF subscribers - it is not on the public post
code search sites - and its use is required for some of RM's cheaper
bulk tariffs.

NLPG doesn't seem to use it.  You use their unique identifiers at that
level of detail.  They also include entities which have no DPS.

It slightly amuses me that the police suggest property marking with the
house number as a suffix to the postcode, when there is actually an
extended postcode that would be a more reliably unique identifier.

(The code may be in fluorescent ink, so difficult to see, but it can be
decoded to find your DPS.)

http://www.davros.org/postcodes/ukformat.html