[Talk-GB] RFC Mechanical edit: UK Shop Names

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Wed Oct 29 21:32:08 UTC 2014

On 25 October 2014 10:44, Ian Caldwell <ian1caldwell+OSM at googlemail.com> wrote:
> You say "we manually exclude bus stops (highway=bus_stop) " I would have
> thought you should only be changing where there is a shop tag.  If not your
> "Cotswold -> Cotswold Outdoor" would change
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/146053979.

Some shops are missing a shop tag, and I think for example a large
building on a retail park named ASDA will be save to change, even if
the shop tag is missing.

However, you are right, doing this purely mechanical would probably
create lots of issues like this. To prevent this, I will manually
check (for objects without relevant shop tag) if changing the object
name makes sense, based on tags and location, erring towards the side
of caution. I updated the proposal to take this into account.

-- Matthijs