[Talk-GB] NCN279 Exeter to Okehampton: Secret Cycle Route?

Guy Collins gugym at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 21:06:46 UTC 2014

All I can find about NCN 279 is this Devon County reference (https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B9RK60i4rDBySVF2S0U1QzdBd2M) on this map which seems to suggest that the route is as plotted along the old A30 road (where NCN 28 was wrongly plotted). On the ground I have not seen any mention of the route recently, although several years ago there were some signs that I recall seeing for a cycle route along this stretch of road. This would verify Richard's findings of not seeing anything on the ground. Sometimes the lack of signage makes mapping very difficult, it appears to be the most secretive cycle route yet! It seems to me that the DfT cycling data was wrong but the route was correct for NCN279(?), but without ground truth this is a challenge...

NCN279 is now also part of the international Tour De Manche route, a route around Northern France and Southern England. Given the recent addition to the international cycle route I am surprised it is still not signed better (at all!). Will have to investigate when I next venture out that way.

Thanks for the pointers and help.