[Talk-GB] Canal & River Trust maps

pmailkeey . pmailkeey at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:31:51 UTC 2015

Dave, I'm not giving up !

On 2 April 2015 at 12:41, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/04/15 12:28, Dave F. wrote:
> > Ah, might as well forget it...
> >
> > Just read Richard F's blog on the CRT website. V. disappointing.
> >

> https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/blog/odette-myall/new-maps-for-a-new-website
>
> It is much better to look at this as a positive rather than a negative!
> What *IS* needed is a successful way of using third party data sets
> rather than continually merging now quite complex data sets into the one
> unmanageable whole. I would hope to see the information available as an
> overlay to osm in the same way it overlays google. Then perhaps all the
> material that is simply missing or incorrect on google can be replaced
> with much more accurate local views :) Certainly the paths and access to
> the navigable sections of canals and rivers around here are currently
> totally blank on the google version.

I think it'd help if we can show them the way. OSM doesn't show water flow
in canals (I've tried!) and the lock gate(s) icon needs fixing - to a <
going against the flow. I think much of the data on their map is already on
OSM - needs checking though. I also note they don't offer a cycle map -
which we'll obviously show. Stick with that - we'll get the cycling
fraternity pressing for them to use OSM !

--
Mike.
@millomweb <https://sites.google.com/site/millomweb/index/introduction> -

*currently unavailable due to ongoing harassment of me, my family, property
& pets*

T&Cs <https://sites.google.com/site/pmailkeey/e-mail>