[Talk-GB] Quarterly Projects Update

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 12:43:35 UTC 2015

On 2 April 2015 at 10:42, Brian Prangle <bprangle at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, on to our next project: all things delivery-related
>
> This could be Royal Mail postboxes (still loads to do); Royal Mail delivery
> offices and sorting offices; delivery areas/gates to factories and town
> centre shopping malls; maxheights and maxweights on roads; courier depots;
> distribution warehouses; new internet shopping parcel lockers (see wiki
> entry); there's a new parcel-collection service based around mainline
> stations called Doddle.it; airfreight facilities; railway marshalling yards;
> secure lorry parks; port/dock facilities and anything else you can think of.

For anyone interested in mapping Royal Mail Post Boxes, or Post Office
Ltd Post Office branches, you may find the tools I run at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postboxes/ useful. Amongst other things,
these compare the current OSM data to some official lists of boxes and
branches from the two organisations. Unfortunately, neither
organisation has given us permission to use their data in OSM, so we
can't directly add any missing objects -- but the maps you can view at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postboxes/ will show up places that it
might be beneficial to survey.

While I'm here, one thing it might be good to discuss in relation to
this project is how best to tag some of the different types of
delivery/collection infrastructure. Should everything be
amenity=post_office, or would it be better to have different tags for
sorting offices / distribution warehouses and also for parcel
collection points?

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker