[Talk-GB] Quarterly Projects Update

John Aldridge jpsa at jjdash.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 3 14:12:43 UTC 2015

On 03/04/2015 14:59, Colin Smale wrote:
> Why not tag both spelling variants? They are both correct in their own
> frame of reference.
>
> If it differs to what is "on the ground", we can use official_name=* for
> the name given by the local authority, warts an' all.

I wouldn't have a problem with this at all, provided the "official" data
is licensed in such a way that we can use it.

As I recall, however, although the OS map is suitably licensed, it is
not itself definitive, but is derived (perhaps with errors) from another
database which we are not entitled to copy. I don't think there's much
value in adding an os_name=* which may differ from both the ground-truth
and the definitive data.

> Even council employees and contractors make mistakes occasionally.
> Should we be legitimising and propagating manifest errors by putting the
> errors into OSM?

Because IMO they're *not* errors in OSM, whose job is to map physical
reality, not to be a repository for various geographic information
databases. I'm aware that not everyone shares this view.

--
Cheers,
John