[Talk-GB] Quarterly Projects Update

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 3 14:55:53 UTC 2015

So now instead of having two versions of the name (1. according to the
council and 2. according to the sign) we are to have a third version,
according to OSM? I am also thinking of our "conventions" with regard to
punctuation and abbreviations (not to mention capitalisation), which
lead to mappers not copying the sign verbatim into OSM but entering some
kind of normalised version. If the sign is "gospel" we need to stop that
as well.

If our rules/algorithms lead to so much discussion, maybe it is time to
tighten up these rules/algorithms, such that they become as objective as
possible, ideally so that anybody applying the same process would come
to the same conclusion.

According to the National Street Gazetteer, the official source of
street names is the local authority in their Local Street Gazetteer
which they have to feed into the NSG. Is this the "other database" to
which you refer?