[Talk-GB] Quarterly Projects Update

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 3 15:49:28 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 01:43:35PM +0100, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:

> For anyone interested in mapping Royal Mail Post Boxes, or Post Office
> Ltd Post Office branches, you may find the tools I run at
> http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postboxes/ useful. Amongst other things,

This seems to be quite misleading because it requires ref keys.
I looked at my local area, and found OSM had "0%" coverage. Digging in
further, I found that OSM had *all* of the post boxes that I checked
already mapped. I had mapped many of those. I seldom include a ref key
partly because I hadn't seen any point in the past, and partly because I
usually take a quick geotagged photograph when mapping and the reference
(to be honest, I am not quite sure I know what it is) is seldom visible
or resolved. I suspect this area actually has something close to 100%
coverage.

This also maybe explains why a nearby mapper a while ago suggested this
area hadn't been mapped fully because he had noticed "missing" post
boxes. He couldn't identify a missing box except one which I very
strongly suspect is spurious having a position in the middle of private
fields with no access...

Still it is useful to have the list and if and when I remember or have
time I may check properly. Casting my eye down the list, I can only see
one that I don't immediately recognise as something I have mapped.

ael