[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project - postboxes

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 14:19:28 UTC 2015

On 13 April 2015 at 12:22, Brian Prangle <bprangle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Came across 2 postboxes today, side-by-side, one with "1st Class" and one
> with "2nd class". Two wall-mounted  box refs so not 2 apertures on the same
> pillar. I couldn't see anything in the wiki on how to treat these so I
> tagged them  postbox:restriction= 1st  class mail only and 2nd class mail
> only. Is there something somewhere already established or do we need a
> consensus on how to tag these?

I don't recall any recent specific discussion about this, and hence
don't think there's a definite consensus. But if you look at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postboxes/osm-tag-keys.html it would
seem that the most popular method would be to add mail:meter=yes/no,
mail:first_class=yes/no, etc. This would be consistent with the
suggestions in the abandoned proposal at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extend_post_box .
But there are also a few instances of mailtypes=* as well, and even
fewer of class=* in use.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker