[Talk-GB] elsan_points

Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 21 09:45:56 UTC 2015

On 21/04/2015 10:01, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> In the UK is the Elsan trade name used for both the mobile toilet and
> the fixed spot to empty it?
> It appears the intent of the elsan_point tag in the UK was the later (
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tELRMqFZKM ).

Yes. This dates from the days when Elsan had the market to themselves in 
UK, so elsan became the generic term for any chemical toilet (This also 
happened with vacuum cleaners & Hoover - we still refer to any vacuum 
cleaner as ‘a hoover’). So the word elsan made its way onto the signage 
for chemical toilet emptying points.

> ---
> Note the comparable USA term "porta-potty" refers to a portable chemical
> toilet with no separate cassette (usually dragged by trailer to events,
> construction
> activity, or in camping areas without sewer access).

Note the spelling: “Porta Potti” is a trade name of the Thetford 
Corporation and refers their chemical toilet products.

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 1:22 AM, Paul Sladen
> <osm at paul.sladen.org
> <mailto:osm at paul.sladen.org>> wrote:
>  > Most canal-side/marina-side are accessed-protected using a 'BWB' key;
> There also seems to be a card:
> https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/navigating-the-waterways/services-for-boats/how-to-buy-your-pump-out-card
> I'm not sure which OSM mapped elsan_points are part of the CR&T key
> system, but the "network" tag was designed for use by someone who does.

Waterside facilities provided by C&RT (previously known as British 
Waterways Board - BWB) are accessed by use of a key issued to all 
waterway license holders. Chemical toilet emptying points are usually 
within these facilities. Pump-out stations, on the other hand, are 
necessarily outside & usage is controlled by pre-paid charge cards which 
activate the pump.

More information about the Talk-GB mailing list