[Talk-GB] elsan_points

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 22 19:00:38 UTC 2015

Is there any intrinsic difference between one for boats and one for
motorhomes? If they are actually pretty much the same thing, maybe the
difference would better be expressed by "access=customers" or purely
geometric/geographic properties.

On 2015-04-22 20:07, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:39 AM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
>
>> Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>>> What can we assume the UK tag "waterway=elsan_point" means? One or more
>>> of:
>>>
>>> 1) Walk up toilet
>>> 2) Cassette dump for boats
>>> 3) Cassette dump for motorhomes
>>> 4) Pump out
>>
>> Very firmly and unambiguously 2.
>>
>>> I propose making the assumption the present elsan_point tag means* #3*,
>>
>> Could I make the evidently-not-bleeding-obvious-enough observation that the
>> "waterway=" bit is quite a good hint that it's not meant for motorhomes.
>
> Yes, I think waterway is an excellent hint. Thus:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/waterway%3Dsanitary_dump_station [2]
>
> WATERWAY=ELSAN_POINT would become WATERWAY=SANITARY_DUMP_STATION, nothing more.
> Motorhomes need not apply.
>
> ---
>
> Note this sanitary_dump_station scheme replaced over a dozen other tagging styles worldwide. It was a real mess: fragmented and tagged for the rendering such as to be absolutely unprocessable in any rational way. There were advocates for using UK term "Elsan" for the cleanup.
> Others objected to the use of a trade name. Thus SANITARY_DUMP_STATION as an attempt at a generic term with a good chance of understanding when translated into multiple languages, and a good match to the customary terms used locally. The scheme's wiki page is now in French, German, English and Russian.
>
> Elsan point is not a term with recognition outside the UK.

[2]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/waterway%3Dsanitary_dump_station