[Talk-GB] Labelling a greasy spoon caff

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 22:19:27 UTC 2015

On 24/04/15 21:31, Dan S wrote:
> It's about a specific style of cuisine / eatery, and actually most of
> the ones I've been to in my life haven't been on transport routes,
> just sit-down cafes in non-posh parts of town. The one I was in this
> morning was a caff in mid-London, full of building workers ordering
> extremely large fried breakfasts.
>
> I'm not keen on cuisine=breakfast because (a) it's not just any
> breakfast, it's a very specific type of breakfast; (b) these places
> usually serve lunch as well, and maybe even tea! I guess I might end
> up going with cuisine=greasy_spoon - but since there were only 4 uses
> so far, I suspected there was something I was missing. Also it felt a
> bit too colloquial, but then it's pretty much the only word I have for
> that style of cuisine.

There are a lot less than there used to be, with the closure of markets
and changes to the 'old' way of life, but certainly thee is nothing that
sticks out as practical other than 'greasy_spoon'. So I'd go with that
until a more politically correct alternative appears. Tagging is after
all just about grouping similar objects together, and cuisine=78 can
just as easily do that if we all know '78' means a particular type of cafe.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL