[Talk-GB] Open Access Land

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 21:19:37 UTC 2015

The problem, as always, is the OGL clause "third party rights the
Information Provider is not authorised to license;", and all the Natural
England data sets will have been compiled from  Ordnance Survey mapping.
For things like Access Land which will be mapped based on field boundaries,
the only clear precedent we have is the Land Registry INSPIRE 'Open Data'.
(See both my blog, and Chris Hill's for commentary on this data when it was
released).

Nor is this similar to PRoW and National Park boundary data, much of which
was originally added to definitive maps in the late 1940s and early 1950s,
and the lines added to maps were often based on much other additional
evidence.

I don't think the Ordnance Survey are against the re-use of such data: on
the contrary I think that everyone concerned was very pleased with Gail
Ramster's initiative to get public toilet data (the Great British Toilet
Map) released for re-use. However, it is probably not high up anyone's task
list to do the nitty gritty leg work to get all parties to agree a way
forward. For most use-cases the data is probably fine in the form it is
now, so re-publication of data (as in OSM's case) will often be seen as an
outlier.

Jerry