[Talk-GB] UK/GB OpenStreetMap survey results

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Aug 7 09:02:18 UTC 2015

On 8/6/2015 2:07 PM, Antje wrote:
> Forking the map style with stronger British road colours and then
> getting that forked road style onto the main site once the default
> style goes “international”.
>
> After all, we didn’t call it “open” for nothing!
I'd approach this with caution, for two reasons

The first is that developing a new render style is one of the items more
disagreed with. Providing server space would be necessary for others to
host the tile layer so others can view it without installing it
themselves, and this was also a disagreed item. On the other hand, this
is a fairly well defined technical task, while items like raise
awareness and encourage more mappers are fairly fuzzy and harder to
define clear actions for.

The second is technical. Richard F has already suggested using a
different stack[1]. Even if using the same stack, openstreetmap-carto
has nearly a decade of legacy code and cartography, not all good. It is
also one of the largest and most complex stylesheets, with active
development. Unless the only changes are simply redefining some colours,
you will be unable to keep your fork up with osm-carto, and you will
certainly want the bugfixes we do, even if you don't want the new features.

When starting a style, you also need to make sure you have the
cartographers to maintain it. I know the UK OSM community has good
cartographers, but I also know most of them are very busy with their own
styles. It can be a lot of work, and it tends to be draining with the
attacks you get.

I don't mean to sound discouraging. I'd love to see a style designed for
the UK, particularly a vector one. I just know first-hand that a fairly
"complete" style is a good chunk of work, be it vector or raster.

[1]: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2015-July/017629.html