[Talk-GB] UK/GB OpenStreetMap survey results

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Fri Aug 7 09:28:14 UTC 2015

On 07/08/2015 10:02, Paul Norman wrote:
> On 8/6/2015 2:07 PM, Antje wrote:
>> Forking the map style with stronger British road colours and then
>> getting that forked road style onto the main site once the default
>> style goes “international”.
>>
>> After all, we didn’t call it “open” for nothing!
> I'd approach this with caution, for two reasons
>
> The first is that developing a new render style is one of the items more
> disagreed with. Providing server space would be necessary for others to
> host the tile layer so others can view it without installing it
> themselves, and this was also a disagreed item. On the other hand, this
> is a fairly well defined technical task, while items like raise
> awareness and encourage more mappers are fairly fuzzy and harder to
> define clear actions for.

Just an (anec)data point here. One of OSM's strongest selling points
among the "ordinary" (non-map-geek) web community in the UK at the
moment is the fact that, unlike Google, it uses the "correct" colours
for roads. Google's own change to the orange-and-grey colour scheme
generated huge opposition from many UK-based users. So the current OSM
colour scheme is itself doing a very good job of raising awareness of OSM.

If there are plans to move OSM to an "international" colour scheme
globally as well, then that advantage will be lost unless there is an
easy option to use a UK-style overlay. So yes, I do think that a UK
colour scheme should be a very high priority.

Mark
--
http://www.markgoodge.uk