[Talk-GB] UK/GB OpenStreetMap survey results

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Aug 7 09:51:46 UTC 2015

On 07/08/15 10:28, Mark Goodge wrote:
> Just an (anec)data point here. One of OSM's strongest selling points
> among the "ordinary" (non-map-geek) web community in the UK at the
> moment is the fact that, unlike Google, it uses the "correct" colours
> for roads. Google's own change to the orange-and-grey colour scheme
> generated huge opposition from many UK-based users. So the current OSM
> colour scheme is itself doing a very good job of raising awareness of OSM.
>
> If there are plans to move OSM to an "international" colour scheme
> globally as well, then that advantage will be lost unless there is an
> easy option to use a UK-style overlay. So yes, I do think that a UK
> colour scheme should be a very high priority.

I'd second that, and PERSONALLY all I'm looking for at this stage is
keeping the existing style sheet for UK use. I've got a nice new machine
ready to at least have a go at keeping my own copy live.

Adding a new rendering stack is secondary and does not need to be
implemented to achieve the first goal.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL