[Talk-GB] UK/GB OpenStreetMap survey results

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 18:39:44 UTC 2015

On 6 August 2015 at 22:07, Antje <mapper at minoa.li> wrote:
> Forking the map style with stronger British road colours and then getting that forked road style onto the main site once the default style goes “international”.

I think a UK-specific style should be a priority for a UK OSM group as
well, and I'm a bit surprised it didn't get more support in the
survey. I don't remember exactly how the question was written, but I
wonder if some of those answering weren't aware of the direction of
the current osm-carto development, with plans well underway to colour
motorways pinky-red and trunk and primary roads different shades of
orange... As well as ensuring a more natural road colouring in a UK
style, I think It would also be really good if we could highlight
Public Rights of Way with their own specific styles.

Other things I'd like to see supported would be more UK-centric tools,
perhaps a UK-only XAPI instance, and maybe something we could use to
compare open data sets of certain types of object (schools, hospitals,
post offices, etc, and maybe also commercial retail chains if they
could be persuaded) with OSM data in order to help detect both missing
and out of date objects on the map.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker