[Talk-GB] Paths and Footways

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 17:26:43 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Given that paths and footways are now rendered the same way in the default
OSM style I wonder whether it is time to look at how the map can provide
better information.

For rural mappers tagging a path/footway as unpaved surface results in it
having less prominence on the map. As most major public rights of way are
unpaved this makes these paths harder to view on the default OSM map.

Some possible changes:

1. Render all paths/footways that are tagged as designation=public_footpath
(or other RoW) more prominently.
2. Render those paths/footways that make up a long distance walking route
more prominent (relation data).
3. Render based on another tag such as trail visibility [1] or maybe we
need a brand new tag to indicate path dominance (like we have
motorway/trunk/primary/etc for roads).

What are people's thoughts on this? The second has a request on github
already [2].

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:trail_visibility
[2] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1750

Regards,