[Talk-GB] UK/GB OpenStreetMap survey results

Paul Bivand paul.bivand at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 16 18:53:01 UTC 2015

As this has dropped off the active thread list a bit.

I'd broadly agree with this, though I'm more corporate sponsors than members.

My feeling on responding with a greater emphasis on community rather than
techy stuff was that those OSM discussions I've been to (mapping parties in
Gravesend, Maidstone) is that OSM meetups tend towards the techy.

For those of us who don't speak Java or Ruby or whatever, this is quite an
obstacle. And offputting (which is why I haven't gone to the London meetups
though I work in London, the reports seem even more techy.

Which isn't to say that a render that makes sense for the UK shouldn't be
done, its more that the focus of a UK OSM group should be:

1) growing and retaining mappers.

2) getting the UK up to some level of completion (multiplying the post-hoc
system for other datasets.)

3) encouraging repeat ground surveys to check changes.

Paulbiv