[Talk-GB] Paths and Footways

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Tue Aug 18 06:43:06 UTC 2015

On 18 Aug 2015 03:56, "Andy Townsend" <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's no interest to do this in the OSM "standard" style because it is
abundantly clear that any new attempts at changes that make rural
navigation possible* in OSM-carto would be rejected based on the ones that
already have been over the last year.

This is not true, a different rendering based on hiking routes or public
rights of way is something we could certainly consider.

Please stop antagonizing the default rendering as if it is on a mission to
make your life as hard as possible, it comes across very childish and is a
counterproductive way of discussing.

> Although it hasn't been explicitly stated, the direction of travel of
that style is clear - some people want a map style that's useful for
navigation, others want something that "looks nice"; based on comments on
the issues raised it's clear that the people maintaining the style are in
the latter group rather than the former.

Not true either - our main criterium for the recent changes is
"readability", and that definitely includes being able to use the map for
navigation.

-- Matthijs