[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project - Fix tha Road Name

Brian Prangle bprangle at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 12:08:16 UTC 2015

At our monthly mappa-mercia pub meeting we were chatting about new ways of
encouraging participation in the current quarterly project to fix street
names. It seems that there are people who  both contribute Notes and  comment
on them who might not be on talk lists nor be aware of the OS Locator data
which highlights name problems. So we thought that adding Notes about road
names that need fixing on the standard OSM map,  asking for confirmation of
the correct name, might elicit some response via a comment indicating the
correct name.

This could then be edited by a mapper.

Potentially, by using this method we would address a new audience who are
prepared to add data occasionally but don't want to be hard-core mappers.

This method would work best for situations where OSM and OS Locator have
different road names.

We'd like to  try this in an area with a high density of road name fixes
and few active mappers. Liverpool, Rotherham and Manchester look to be
likely candidates (258, 225 and 198 road name fixes respectively). If there
are active mappers in these areas who don't want this to happen please let
us know soon and we'll keep away. You could of course  volunteer another
area, either for us to pilot or to do it yourself.

If we don't get a sufficient response to our Notes we would follow up with
web searches for local community groups who have twitter or facebook
accounts and  ask for their participation via those media.

Regards

Brian