[Talk-GB] Road Names Quarterly Project

Jonathan Harley jon at spiffymap.net
Tue Feb 17 10:48:50 UTC 2015

On 17/02/15 10:03, Colin Smale wrote:

> It's only "correct" because that's the frame of reference you have
> chosen in this case. The local authority decides what a street is
> officially called. How that is transposed to signs sometimes
> introduces errors, and these errors are sometimes volatile. The OS is
> not the source of the official name either is it?

The frame of reference we use is "ground truth" - what is actually there
in the physical world.

Also, the signage at the end of the street is what visitors and delivery
drivers see, so it's surely the most practically useful thing to have on
a map.

J.

--
Dr Jonathan Harley                                 SpiffyMap Ltd

jon at spiffymap.net                              www.spiffymap.com
The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ, UK