[Talk-GB] Road Names Quarterly Project

Paul Bivand paul.bivand at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 23:05:59 UTC 2015

A small story about this:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/31117763/history

Laurie Gray Avenue, Bluebell Hill, Kent, used to have a street sign saying
"Laurie Gray".

Various council documentation and OS locator referred to the 'Avenue' form.

After two discussions an openstreetmap mapper asked the relevant council
(Tonbridge and Malling) who replied 'That's funny, we'd better sort that' or
words to that effect.

The sign now has the Avenue suffix.

Actually, I rather regret the change as I was imagining the person the road
was named after telling the council that if they wanted to call it an avenue
they'd better plant trees along it. As there were no trees, no Avenue.

Paul