[Talk-GB] OS OpenData now OGL

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Tue Feb 17 23:57:51 UTC 2015

On 17 February 2015 at 22:38, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:
> At long last the open data licence scene in the UK has now become a lot
> simpler as OS have ditched their OS OpenData Licence and replaced it with
> the standard OGL

At first sight this seems good news.

However:

| In particular, one of these sticking points concerned the issue of
sublicensing
| and giving greater clarity as to the applicability of OGL terms to
sublicensees,
| a matter that has been addressed in this new version of the OGL.

OS's sublicensing terms were the reason OS ODL and ODbL are incompatible:
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/notes/os-open-data.html

I could imagine that OGL-3 has imported OS ODL's clause on
sublicensing that caused incompatibility with ODbL, which would make
OGL-3 incompatible with ODbL.Do we have confirmation that this is not
the case, i.e. that OGL-3 and ODbL are compatible?

-- Matthijs