[Talk-GB] Fwd: Underground services

Tim Waters chippy2005 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 13:06:54 UTC 2015

I'm also interested in underground cables and mapping communications
routes, in particular the major internet "trunk" cables.

My question would be, similar to tunnels and other somewhat hidden
underground features -  how would we represent lengths along the route
where the positioning is unclear.
Before better sources of positions become available, would straight lines
in the database from A to B be allowed, or desired?
Shouldn't these unclear, holding lines never be rendered?

And, more interesting: how can we get better positioning information?
Could the scars along roads be used to help interpolation of positions?
Could we develop hand held instruments to detect various things?
Does dowsing work?
Can we use the markings sprayed on the pavement by utility companies to
identify what's there?

Cheers,

Tim