[Talk-GB] Unsigned road names (was "Fix the road name!")

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Jan 24 21:19:01 UTC 2015

On 24/01/15 20:33, SomeoneElse wrote:
> However, there are names where the name in OSM is what the local
> authority uses, and what local people would agree that it is called, but
> there's no sign on the ground.  How do we reflect that?  It's useful to
> know from a

I suspect the local authority take on this is that satellite navigators
make road name plates less important.  They certainly don't seem to make
replacing missing or defaced ones a priority and I've certainly read
people saying that road sign clutter can be reduced because people will
use navigators.

(What actually annoys me is the number of houses without house numbers.
  If I want to get a number, to report a problem to the council or water
company, I may have to go three or four houses before I can get a number
to work from.  I think some US city ordinances make house numbers
mandatory.)